Maxim Sobolev wrote:
Dennis Melentyev wrote:
Could be worth an entry in UPDATING and/or explicitly added to GENERIC.

My point is that if the option is mandatory for compiling ath(4) driver, then there is no point in having this option in the first place.

There is an entry in UPDATING and it is present in GENERIC (in HEAD, I didn't commit the changes to RELENG_7 so don't know).

When the ath hal src code was imported the meaning of the ath_hal device changed because internal configuration done during binary builds was now exposed. Specifically, the need for AH_SUPPORT_5416 to enable support for the extended descriptor format used by the 11n parts. If you read ath_hal(4) this should be clear--if not please help improve the manual page.

However, it so happens you can eliminate this option because config will generate a #define you can use instead to identify the configuration of "ath_hal" but this magic is undocumented and I didn't know about it until ru recently told me. I suggested he go ahead and fixup the code to use it but haven't seen anything. I don't have time right now.

   Sam