08.07.2010 17:06, Peter Jeremy написав(ла):
On 2010-Jul-07 14:22:22 -0400, "Mikhail T."<mi+t...@aldan.algebra.com>  wrote:
In no particular order:

   1. A picture, that one of the systems was displaying at boot (and
      then used as a screen-saver),  stopped showing properly. The
      colors are right, but the picture is distorted beyond recognition.
      The relevant part of loader.conf is:

          splash_pcx_load="YES"
          vesa_load="YES"
          bitmap_load="YES"
          bitmap_name="/boot/187426-9-quokka-dreaming.pcx"
It's a bit difficult to provide any useful input without some idea
of what the picture should and does look like.  Can you please post
the actual bitmap as well as a picture of your screen showing the
problem.
I don't want to post it publicly for copyright reasons. I can e-mail it to you (or anyone else) directly, though.
   3. Likewise, having "device ugen" breaks config(8) -- another
      undocumented incompatibility.
Can you please advise where it is documented that "device ugen"
is valid in a FreeBSD-8 config file?
It was a valid device for FreeBSD-7. The UPDATING-file enumerates a number of things, that need to be changed, when updating to 8, but the removal of "ugen" is not mentioned there.
   5. One of the upgraded systems would repeatedly hang at boot, until I
      disabled the on-board firewire-device through the BIOS... It was
      not a problem under 7.x, although I don't know, whether the device
      actually worked.
I haven't seen this on any of my systems.  Can you please provide
details of your motherboard, BIOS and the output from a verbose boot
up to the hang.  Is there a BIOS update available and have you tried
installing it?
No BIOS updates :-( I can e-mail boot's output to you directly (please, confirm interest). It would be with the device disabled though, because the boot never completes, if it is enabled.
   6. Despite the reported improvements in the USB area, my USB keyboard
      /still/ does not work during boot. It during POST and then after
      the booting is complete. But in single-user mode -- no... Had to
      fish-out the PS2 keyboard...
I have had similar problems on one of my USB-only desktops.  In my
case, moving the keyboard to a different USB port solved the problem.
All I can suggest is to work your way through all the USB ports you
have available and see if they all behavee the same.
I'll try that next time I reboot this system. Thanks,

   -mi