Hi,

On Jul 28, 2010, at 11:41 PM, Mikhail T. wrote:

> 09.07.2010 05:49, Peter Jeremy ???????(??):
>> I doubt I'm personally in a position to debug this and don't personally
>> use splash screens.  Can you reproduce it using an image that you can
>> re-distribute?
>>
> Ok, the splash-screen problem went away after I put back the original
> video-card. The one I tried with (a high-end, but old) worked fine in text
> mode, but, apparently, had issues in the graphical mode... Retracted...
>>>>>
>>> It was a valid device for FreeBSD-7. The UPDATING-file enumerates a
>>> number of things, that need to be changed, when updating to 8, but the
>>> removal of "ugen" is not mentioned there.
>>>
>> Well, the definitive list is sys/conf/NOTES and sys/$(uname -m)/conf/NOTES
>>
> The "NOTES" files are code, not documentation... If the "UPDATING" file did
> not exist, I'd be looking elsewhere for the changes. But it does exist and so
> should be complete (perhaps, it should be auto-generated based on the
> commit-history of the NOTES and GENERIC kernel-configs?)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html :
 For an exhaustive list of architecture dependent options and devices, see the
NOTES file in the same directory as the GENERIC file. For architecture
independent options, see /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES.

I duno if this is documentation or not .. the handbook states that this is a
list :)

Also I'm pretty sure there was an entry for the USB changes in UPDATING:

20090223:
        The new USB2 stack has now been permanently moved in and all kernel and
        module names reverted to their previous values (eg, usb, ehci, ohci,
        ums, ...).  The old usb stack can be compiled in by prefixing the name
        with the letter 'o', the old usb modules have been removed.
        Updating entry 20090216 for xorg and 20090215 for libmap may still
        apply.

There was a huge change for the GENERIC at this date (+29 -88 lines) so it's
doesn't sound correct to
document verbosely all of them in UPDATING.

-cut-

--
Best Wishes,
Stefan Lambrev