On my Core i7 setup here, the change seems to work well.

... in your specific workload. And you haven't described how you
measured system performance to prove that it haven't decreased.

My measure of "performance" is entirely unscientific: This is a desktop box. Performance is good if KDE reacts to inputs quickly. My patch preserves this for me while making the box run a bit cooler.

I am by no means advocating that my patch be made the default behavior. But as you said, it may be nice to include it as one of several algorithms the user can choose from.

- Bartosz