2011/4/17 Jeremy Chadwick <free...@jdc.parodius.com>:
> On Sun, Apr 17, 2011 at 10:45:38PM +0400, Lystopad Olexandr wrote:
>>
>> What about ahci_load="YES" after freebsd install? Is it too late?
>
> I don't recommend enabling ahci.ko after the OS has already been
> installed on an adX disk, simply because I believe the combination of
> GEOM+CAM+ahci may show different geometry details than GEOM+ata would.
>
> Note: I said "I believe", not "I can confirm/validate".  I could be
> completely wrong.  Rather than find out ( :-) ) I tend to try and do
> things consistently from the very beginning.
>
> So you can try it if you want, be my guest, report back.

I did it on a 8.1-RELEASE install: I installed the system as explained
in the wiki (http://wiki.freebsd.org/RootOnZFS/GPTZFSBoot) and after
some months of use, I added ahci_load="YES" to /boot/loader.conf.
Device names changed from ad{4,8} to ada{0,1} and everything still
worked fine, which kind of surprised me because I didn't do any
labelling to my disks (I remember having done that earlier in 8.0
times, and zfs pool reported devices were unavailable, as was the
pool, at that time).

Regards,
Romain