On Mon, 27 Aug 2012, Matt Smith wrote:

On 2012-08-27 14:56, Warren Block wrote:

Stefan called it.  The newfs is done on /dev/gpt/gptroot, no problem
there.  But when glabel writes to /dev/ada0p2--which is
/dev/gpt/gptroot, same thing, it overwrites the last block.  And then
the filesystem is mounted with the glabel device, which is actually
one block smaller than the filesystem expects.

Could be either the filesystem or GEOM that's causing the failure at shutdown.

Happily, those glabels aren't accomplishing anything useful and can
be skipped.  Removing the glabels and changing the devices in fstab
might be enough.  A more cautious approach would be to back up, newfs,
skip the glabel step, and then change the devices in fstab.

As I said on a previous mail I did boot it with a USB stick and cleared the glabel metadata and altered the fstab to point to both the GPT labels and the raw UFS device and I still get the issue. So am I right in thinking then that this has caused irreparable damage

To the filesystem? Probably (weasel word) not. The old instructions for gmirror used the last block out of a filesystem and there have been no notable reports of data loss.

One thing to mention is that SU+J might change what the filesystem does with that last block. I'm avoiding SU+J until the dump problem is fixed, so have not experimented with that.

and the only way I can fix this now is to newfs the filesystem again, this time just using GPT labels and not using glabel at all?

I'll commit to it and say yes, that will work.

This is the first time I've ever done a manually partitioned installation with GPT and alignment, previously I've only ever used sysinstall with non-aligned MBR installations, so it was a bit of a learning curve. If I do have to newfs it again then I want to be sure that I'm doing the correct things so that I don't find myself with any other issues. So does the rest of what I did look fine?

No obvious problems jumped out at me.  Here are my notes:
http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

The gpart version is halfway down.  I really need to switch that around.