Hi,

>>>>> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:23:01 +0000
>>>>> Ben Morrow <b...@morrow.me.uk> said:

ben> ip6addrctl does more than just order v4 vs v6: it also sorts the v6
ben> addresses, in a way which can be quite important. IMHO both the v6
ben> addresses returned from getipnodebyname and the addresses returned from
ben> gethostbyname2(AF_INET6) ought to be sorted according to ip6addrctl,
ben> even if getipnodebyname special-cases the v4-mapped addresses to appear
ben> last.

Okay, it seems reasonable.  I've just committed to obey ip6addrctl
only for IPv6 address:

http://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/245256

As for gethostbyname2, it doesn't obey ip6addrctl in the first place,
and it is hard to obey ip6addrctl.  So, I leave it as is.

ben> Well, if important applications like Sendmail are still using it it's
ben> probably important it works consistently with the rest of the system's
ben> IPv6 support. I'd rather see it removed, or reimplemented as a wrapper
ben> around getaddrinfo, than left in a broken state.

I don't think our getipnodebyname is broken.  We tried to implement
getipnodebyname with getaddrinfo backend without success in years
past.  As the result, implementation of getipnodebyname has become
like now.

Sincerely,

--
Hajimu UMEMOTO