Am 26.06.2013 18:42, schrieb Chris H:
> Greetings,
>  I haven't upgraded my tree(s) for awhile. My last attempt to rebuild after
> an updating
> src && ports, resulted in nearly installing the entire ports tree, which is
> why I've
> waited so long. Try as I might, I've had great difficulty finding something
> that will
> _only_ upgrade what I already have installed, _and_ respect the "options"
> used during the
> original make && make install, or those options expressed in make.conf.
> As portupgrade(1) && portmaster(8) appear to be the most used in this
> scenario,
> I'm soliciting opinions on which of these works best, or if there is
> something else to
> better manage this situation. Is there such a thing as a FreeBSD upgrade
> "easy button"?
>
> Thank you for all your consideration.

Chris,

this time around, you will again rebuild almost your entire ports tree
because some basic ports, such as Perl.

Also, you will rarely be able to only upgrade what you already have
installed because sometimes ports grow new requisite other ports you do
not already have.

I haven't used portupgrade in a long time because there was a period
where it had fallen to bit-rot, but both tools are being maintained now.

portupgrade has the decided advantage of being able to continue building
some ports if another port failed as long as the failed port is not
itself a requisite port for one that is yet to be built; portmaster
bails out at the first error.

portmaster, on the other hand, has a "rebuild everything" approach in
the manual page, and can be used to list only leaf ports -- but that
approach will require you to deinstall all ports so that the machine
becomes unusable while it builds.

There are other approaches, like using portmaster just to list this
ports tree, and then use Tinderbox or poudriere to build packages in a
chroot, and then only deinstall and install if you have all packages
built successfully - but I am not familiar with automating this, not
familiar with poudriere, and it requires a bit of work to get your
options transferred to these build systems.  Such a "build all packages
first before you start deinstalling" would reduce the downtime, though.

Hope that helps a little.

Best regards
Matthias Andree