On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 09:42:43AM -0700, Chris H wrote:
> Greetings,
>  I haven't upgraded my tree(s) for awhile. My last attempt to rebuild after
> an updating
> src && ports, resulted in nearly installing the entire ports tree, which is
> why I've
> waited so long. Try as I might, I've had great difficulty finding something
> that will
> _only_ upgrade what I already have installed, _and_ respect the "options"
> used during the
> original make && make install, or those options expressed in make.conf.
> As portupgrade(1) && portmaster(8) appear to be the most used in this
> scenario,
> I'm soliciting opinions on which of these works best, or if there is
> something else to
> better manage this situation. Is there such a thing as a FreeBSD upgrade
> "easy button"?

Use portmaster, avoid portupgrade.  And no I will not expand on my
reasoning -- I urge anyone even mentioning the word portupgrade to spend
a few hours of their day reading the horror stories on the mailing lists
over the past 10 years or so (including recently).  Choose wisely.

And before going on any sort of "update crusade", I recommend you
re-examine your make.conf methodologies for options if you haven't
already.  The OPTIONS framework has been revamped and improved many
times over, so you will find things like this on a system whose admin
keeps up with the times (compare this to older ways/methods, which may
break or stop working):

OPTIONS_UNSET+=         X11 IPV6 NLS

php5_SET+=              APACHE
php5_UNSET+=            CGI
postfix_SET+=           PCRE TLS SASL2
samba36_SET+=           AIO_SUPPORT
samba36_UNSET+=         LDAP CUPS ACL_SUPPORT WINBIND POPT
wget_SET+=              OPENSSL
wget_UNSET+=            IDN

When rebuilding everything, I have always resorted to this:

rsync -avH /usr/local/ /usr/local.old/
pkg_delete -a -f
rm -fr /usr/local/*
rm -fr /var/db/ports/*
rm -fr /usr/ports/distfiles/*
cd /usr/ports/whatever
make install clean
{lather rinse repeat until done}

And add some pkg_add -r's in there for large-ish things I don't want to
rebuild from source (I think folks who use X probably do this quite a
bit; I remember hearing how Open/LibreOffice takes something like 3-4
hours to build on some systems).

But that's just how I do things.  My advice on using portmaster,
however, still stands.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   j...@koitsu.org |