Is there a preferred way to buildworld without libncursesw?

When I add to /etc/src.conf
WITHOUT_NCURSESW=yes

I find that a buildworld fails due to missing libncursesw.*.
So what uses libncurses?  These guys do
/usr/bin/dialog
/usr/bin/dpv

/usr/sbin/sade -> /usr/libexec/bsdinstall/partedit
/usr/sbin/tzsetup

Getting a little frustrated I modifed the Makefile:, so for example
dialog (/usr/src/contrib/dialog)

+.include <bsd.own.mk>
+
+.if ${MK_NCURSESW} == "no"
+DPADD=         ${LIBDPV} ${LIBDIALOG} ${LIBFIGPAR} ${LIBNCURSES}
${LIBUTIL} ${LIBM}
+LDADD=         -ldpv -ldialog -lfigpar -lncurses -lutil -lm
+.else
 DPADD=         ${LIBDPV} ${LIBDIALOG} ${LIBFIGPAR} ${LIBNCURSESW}
${LIBUTIL} ${LIBM}
 LDADD=         -ldpv -ldialog -lfigpar -lncursesw -lutil -lm
+.endif

And checking
# make -VMK_NCURSESW
no

I'm at a bit of a loss as to why these are proving difficult to build,
or what I can do to get the desired outcome, ie no libncursesw.so*
Dewayne.