On 10/19/16 11:37, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Matthew Seaman wrote on 2016/10/19 11:08:

>>> I think that these instructions should be in the announcement release
>>> notes as this question comes up a lot. The notes just say something like
>>> "upgrade all your packages". Most people will then just try and run pkg
>>> upgrade and get that error without knowing how to solve it. It's not
>>> intuitive unless you have come across this before.
>>
>> pkg(8) does have a built-in warning when it detects an OS major version
>> upgrade, which is to do a forced upgrade of pkg(8) so it matches the ABI
>> versions of system shlibs.  Did that warning appear in this case?
>
> I think it is not shown if pkg is missing some libraries.
> It is shown when OS major version changes and you run pkg befor old
> libraries are deleted or if you run pkg-static:
>
> pkg-static: Warning: Major OS version upgrade detected.  Running
> "pkg-static install -f pkg" recommended

The correct procedure (and I think it's documented somewhere) is to run
"pkg upgrade -f" before removing the old libraries.

If compiling from sources that is before make delete-old-libraries and
is explicitly stated when running make delete-old to upgrade ports
before going on.

If upgrading using freebsd-update that's before running "freebsd-update
install" for the third time(if I remember correctly) and I think I
remember freebsd-update stating something about upgrading installed
packages, but I'm not 100% sure.

--
Guido Falsi <m...@madpilot.net>