On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 12:24 PM, George Mitchell <george+free...@m5p.com>
wrote:

> After today's OpenSSH security message, I did:
>
> cd /usr
> rm -rf obj
> cd src
> svn update -r311916
> make buildworld
>
> After a while, I got to:
>
> building shared library libc.so.7
> cc (a very long compile line)
> ./libc.so.7: unsupported file layout
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[4]: stopped in /usr/src/lib/libc
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[3]: stopped in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[2]: stopped in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make[1]: stopped in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> make: stopped in /usr/src
>
> freebsd-version -ku
> 10.3-RELEASE-p13
> 10.3-RELEASE-p15
>
> I am using a generic kernel, except for using SCHED_4BSD.  If it
> weren't for that, I would just use freebsd-update.
>
> Googling suggests that my build tree is somehow mixing up 32 and 64
> bit files.  (I'm running on an amd64 machine.)  How do I get this
> cleared up?                                             -- George

While I have no suggestions about the error building libc, your statement
that you can't use freebsd-update due to your use of a custom kernel is
incorrect. This is a common misconception and, in cases of very limited
disk space, may be true, it is rare. It is helped by the fact that the man
page makes no mention of how to so this. (You do still need to build a new
kernel if the update does, indeed, touch the kernel.)

All you need is a GENERIC kernel in /boot/GENERIC. You can either build it
or download it. See the FreeBSD Handbook Section 23.2.3.1, “Custom Kernels
with FreeBSD 9.X and Later”
<https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html#freebsd-update-custom-kernel-9x>
for details on downloading a GENERIC kernel. Before any upgrade, major or
minor, you might wat to re-reas that section.

Once the GENERIC kernel is in /boot, you may use freebsd-update and, if the
GENERIC kernel is not updated, you're good to go. If it is, you will need
to build and install a new custom kernel and reboot. Since most security
patches don't touch the kernel, this is usually not needed. I believe that
the 10.3 kernel was last touched in p11.
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com