On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 8:24 PM, George Mitchell <george+free...@m5p.com>
wrote:

> On 01/11/17 17:46, George Mitchell wrote:
> > On 01/11/17 17:20, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> While I have no suggestions about the error building libc, your
> statement
> >> that you can't use freebsd-update due to your use of a custom kernel is
> >> incorrect. This is a common misconception and, in cases of very limited
> >> disk space, may be true, it is rare. It is helped by the fact that the
> man
> >> page makes no mention of how to so this. (You do still need to build a
> new
> >> kernel if the update does, indeed, touch the kernel.)
> >>
> >> All you need is a GENERIC kernel in /boot/GENERIC. You can either build
> it
> >> or download it. See the FreeBSD Handbook Section 23.2.3.1, “Custom
> Kernels
> >> with FreeBSD 9.X and Later”
> >> <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/
> handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html#freebsd-
> update-custom-kernel-9x>
> >> for details on downloading a GENERIC kernel. Before any upgrade, major
> or
> >> minor, you might wat to re-reas that section.
> >>
> >> Once the GENERIC kernel is in /boot, you may use freebsd-update and, if
> the
> >> GENERIC kernel is not updated, you're good to go. If it is, you will
> need
> >> to build and install a new custom kernel and reboot. Since most security
> >> patches don't touch the kernel, this is usually not needed. I believe
> that
> >> the 10.3 kernel was last touched in p11.
> >> --
> >> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> >> E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com
> >> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
> freebsd.org"
> >>
> > Thanks, I'll try that the next time I have a chance.  When I naively
> > tried a straight "freebsd-update" a few months ago, of course it
> > overwrote my SCHED_4BSD kernel with a SCHED_ULE one.        -- George
> >
> Just to refresh my memory of what happened a few months ago, I tried
> the following experiment.  I copied my current modified kernel:
>
> rsync -av /boot/kernel/ /boot/my.kernel/
>
> Then with my modified kernel still in place, I said:
>
> freebsd-update fetch
> freebsd-update install
>
> With not a qualm in the world, freebsd-update installed a fresh
> SCHED_ULE kernel in /boot.  (Happily, it did save my current kernel
> in /boot/kernel.old.)  That's what happened last year, too.  Why
> didn't freebsd-update notice that I had a modified kernel and at
> least notify me that something funky was going on?      -- George

I'm a bit surprised that there was no message about the kernel being
non-GENERIC, but I've never tried. The key is the presence of
/boot/GENERIC. If it is present, the kernel in /boot/kernel is left
untouched and /boot/GENERIC is updated to the new version. If /boot/GENERIC
does not exist, then the update is performed on /boot/kernel/kernel. (N.B.
Kernel modules are always updated when or if needed!)
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com