On Fri, 13 Jan 2017 16:38:59 +0000 Matthew Seaman <matt...@freebsd.org> wrote

> On 2017/01/13 16:31, Chris H wrote:
> > As a general rule:
> > install from pkg(8) remove with pkg(8)
> > install from ports(7), remove with ports(7)
> >

> Sorry -- this is completely bogus.
Not entirely.

>  You can freely mix and match either
> way. Just make sure that the package names match up.
>
> In fact the ports removes packages using pkg(8), so it all comes down to
> the same thing in the end.
That is the *intended* outcome, to be sure. *But* as noted in the OP[1],
and from some edge cases I've personally run into; the "general rule"
I listed, does apply. :)

>     Cheers,
>
>     Matthew

I have now removed the package using pkg delete -f -n perl5-5.24.1.r4_1 and was
then able to install from ports without problems:

[1] root@gw2:/usr/ports/lang/perl5.24 # pkg info perl5.24-5.24.1.r5_1
perl5.24-5.24.1.r5_1
Name           : perl5.24
Version        : 5.24.1.r5_1
Installed on   : Thu Jan 12 17:53:45 2017 CET
Origin         : lang/perl5.24

--Chris