Hi there,

I try to install amd64 FreeBSD 11.1 in dual-boot with Windows 7 on an
MBR partitioned disk and I can't make it bootable. My Windows 7 uses
its standard MBR partitioning scheme (1. 100MB System Reserved
Partition; 2 - 127GB disk C partition) and there is about 112GB of
free unallocated disk space that I want to use to install FreeBSD on
it. As an installation media I use the
FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-mini-memstick.img flashed on a USB drive.

During the installation, if I choose to use Guided Partitioning Tool
and automatic partitioning of the free space, I get a pop-up message
that says:

======
The existing partition scheme on this disk
(MBR) is not bootable on this platform. To
install FreeBSD, it must be repartitioned.
This will destroy all data on the disk.
Are you sure you want to proceed?
             [Yes]          [No]
======

If instead of the Guided Partitioning Tool I choose to partition the
disk manually I get a similar message as a warning and the
installation process continues without an error, but the installed
FreeBSD system is not bootable. Installing boot0 manually (boot0cfg
-Bv /dev/ada0) doesn't fix it. The boot0 boot loader is able to boot
Windows but it's unable to start the FreeBSD boot process. It only
prints hash symbols when I press F3 (the FreeBSD slice/MBR partition
number).

I consider this as a critical bug. But maybe there is some workaround
that allows me to install the FreeBSD 11.1 as a second OS without
repartitioning the entire disk?

My hardware is an Intel Core i7 4790 3.6GHz based machine with 16GB
RAM. The ada0 disk is 238GB SanDisk SD8SBAT256G1122 (SSD).