On 22/01/2018 17:07, Alan Somers wrote:
Since upgrading my jail server to 11.1-RELEASE, the clock occasionally
jumps backwards by 5-35 minutes for no apparent reason.  Has anybody seen
something like this?

Details
=====

* Happens about once a day on my jail server, and has happened at least
once on a separate bhyve server.

* The jumps almost always happen between 1 and 3 AM, but I've also seen
them happen at 06:30 and 20:15.

That's the window when the period scripts are run which if you have a default configuration and a lot of jails will put the system under a lot of stress.
* I'm using the default ntp.conf file.

Are you running ntpd inside the jail or on the jail host? On my jail systems (which are 10.3 and 11.1) I run ntpd out the jail host (outside all jails) and not inside the jails and the jails then get the accurate time as the underlying host has accurate time.

Mike

--
Mike Pumford | Senior Software Engineer

T: +44 (0) 1225 710635