can you post your dmesg output from when you've set kld_list="/boot/modules/amdgpu.ko"?  also, please verify that your user is in the "video" group.  but from what you've described it sounds like a conflict is popping up between the base amdgpu.ko and the one available in the ports tree.

also, please ensure you are booting in "classic" BIOS mode and not UEFI, IIRC there are some issues surrounding amdgpu with UEFI - i don't have that hardware tho so can't elaborate.

Hi,thanks for the reply - am not in front of the machine today so I
cant really test unfortunately, but will get you the information
as soon as I can. The user is indeed in the 'video' group and
the machine is booting using normal BIOS not UEFI though, so all
things are "as the should be" regarding setup I think.

What drivers should I be using in Xorg for this by the way ? Thats something I cant seem to find anywhere. 'amdgpu' sonds like the right one possibly ?

-pete.