Pete French wrote on 11/04/2019 13:30:
Shot in the dark: Is it possible that python is trying to dynamically
load a shared library that isn't available yet due to being on a not-yet
mounted filesystem?

I wondered about that, but I have these boxes confiured with only one filesystem
for everything apart from mysql data.

Just a random guess.

A good one, and one which makes me wonder if theres some shared library config
which isnt happening and maybe that is it ?

Am going to do an experiment to see if the same behaviout occurs on a real
hardware machine not in Azure - which might make it easier to debug as I can
at least see the console that way.

Check "rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*"
Check if ldconfig is runable (I ended up with permissions 0444 on /etc/rc.d/ldconfig after some etcupdate run)

Next things - try to run it as:
1) service myservice start
or
2) /usr/local/etc/rc.d/myservice start