Thanks for the ideas, running through these in order...

> Check "rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*"

So, its running directly after sshd and before swaplate and the
local stuff.

> Check if ldconfig is runable (I ended up with permissions 0444 on=20
> /etc/rc.d/ldconfig after some etcupdate run)

Just checked that and its 777

> Next things - try to run it as:
> 1) service myservice start
> or
> 2) /usr/local/etc/rc.d/myservice start
>
> There can be differencies.

Both of those give the same result - this is in /etc/rc.d not in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, but that wont make a difference I assume ?

> You can also try to start it from cron instead of hands (different=20
> environment) or try to start in on boot from crontab with tag @reboot.

Those are both interesting ideas. Cant tst them immediately, but will try
later today if I can. Thankyou!

-pete.