Hi Pete,

Thanks for the suggestions.

FWIW I've been running the fruit extensions and a few other tweaks for quite a
while.  My current global configuration contains:

   vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr zfsacl
   fruit:resource = xattr
   fruit:locking = netatalk
   fruit:time machine = yes
#dflt: fruit:resource = file
#dflt: fruit:locking = none

   fruit:advertise_fullsync = yes

   nfs4:mode = special
   nfs4:acedup = merge
   nfs4:chown = yes
# could be derived from this article:
# https://blogs.oracle.com/marks/entry/zfs_acls

   mangled names = no
   hide dot files = no
# prevent created files having execute bit set?
   map archive = no
# prevent SMB1, which seems to be bad:
#
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-configure-samba-to-use-smbv2-and-disable-smbv1-on-linux-or-unix/
   min protocol = SMB2

# Seems to be required for Spotlight (tracker) support (see spotlight = yes on
shares, below)
# see: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Spotlight
   rpc_server:mdssd = fork
   rpc_server:mdssvc = external

   socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

   browseable = yes

No, I haven't actually got Spotlight to work on the samba shares.  Any hints on
that front would be appreciated.  The documentation on some of those
Gnome-desktop background things is possibly worse than the Apple
documentation...

I find that quite a lot about modern computing resembles magical thinking, or
occult practices: there is almost no way to actually understand what is going
on, you just try things and stick to what seems to work.  Superstition over
science.  Sigh.

I can't remember why I'm not using fruit:encoding = private, but I think that
it was because I wanted file names to be representable and compatible on both
sides of the share, at the expense of occasionally having to "fix" names that
turn out to be unrepresentable.

I've bumped log level up to 2 and increased the size of the log files by a
factor of ten (to 5000 (k)).  I suspect that one reason why I wasn't seeing
errors being reported could be that the logs were being turned over too
quickly.  We'll see.

Cheers,

Andrew Reilly
E: arei...@bigpond.net.au