On 06/04/2021 11:29, Stefan Bethke wrote:
Am 05.04.2021 um 21:01 schrieb Patrick M. Hausen <hau...@punkt.de>:

But still even on "the Internet", FTP is the most used method for customers
of static website hosting. You cannot teach these people what an SSH key is.
Just my experience, but backed by a load of customer interactions over more
than 20 years ...

Strato did disable FTP access over a year ago, and instructed customers on how
to use SSH-based access instead, so it's definitely possible, and people are
moving towards more secure protocols, even when (non-technical) end users are
affected.

Working for small / average web hosting company - we disabled plaintext FTP over 15 years ago. All customers are able to use FTP client supporting FTPeS (FTP with explicit TLS). So it definitely is possible if there is a will or enough pressure on customers. On the other hand it does not matter to me if ftpd will be shipped in FreeBSD base for next 10 years. It is just a matter of maintaining it / man power for each release, testing etc.

Miroslav Lachman