Deprecating base system ftpd does seem to be a good idea, especially for
FreeBSD users wanting to use their computer as a workstation/desktop instead of
as a server. I think the argument becomes, "who is our target audience?" If the
target audience is both server and desktop users, then minimizing the base
system makes a lot of sense. FreeBSD is not just for servers anymore.

Best Regards,
Vic Thacker