On 2021-04-04 12:10, Ian Lepore wrote:
On Sat, 2021-04-03 at 16:39 -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
I propose deprecating the ftpd currently included in the base system
before FreeBSD 14, and opened review D26447
(https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26447) to add a notice to the man page.
I had originally planned to try to do this before 13.0, but it
dropped
off my list. FTP is not nearly as relevant now as it once was, and it
had a security vulnerability that secteam had to address.

I'm happy to make a port for it if anyone needs it. Comments?

I would find the removal of ftpd to be very inconvenient unless there
was a port/pkg to install it from.

If there is a port, it would only be useful if I could set PREFIX=/usr
when building/installing it, so that its behavior when installed as a
port/pkg would be identical to how it was when it was part of base (in
terms of where its config files are located).
I like the sound of that. Except that I'd like to do it one better and
suggest something along the lines of PORTS_MODULES in make.conf(5).
Maybe
PORTS_DAEMONS= ftpd sshd rpcbind nfsd ypbind inetd etc...

That might make it a tenable for situation for everyone. ;-)

--Chris

-- Ian