On 2021-04-18 13:57:45 (+0800), Jason Tubnor wrote:

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 at 10:51, Philip Paeps <phi...@freebsd.org> wrote:

It looks like there were at least experiments with pointing
freebsd-update at AWS, similar to how portsnap currently works. I will
check if these experiments went anywhere and possibly point
freebsd-update there instead.

The AWS freebsd-update has been working fine for quite a while.  All
project mirrors are slow in Australia so we have been using the AWS one since Colin brought it online to make it a better experience for our team
to update the fleet.

FWIW adjust update.FreeBSD.org to aws.update.FreeBSD.org in
/etc/freebsd-update.conf and you are good to go.

Can the project look at offering traditional mirrors for base and pkgs
rather than the current offering? Those that want to stand up un-official
mirrors can do so by pointing rsync to a Tier 2 mirror for updating
purposes so they can provide faster, localised access. From Melbourne to our closest geo mirror is 240ms, this latency really drags out updates, so
having a mirror out of a Melbourne DC would be beneficial.

We've got an ongoing action item to set up a traditional pkg and download mirror at IX Australia. This has kept stalling out over the past year-and-a-bit because the world is on fire. I'll try to pick this up again Soon.

Currently, from Australia you're either sent to a pkg or download mirror in Malaysia or on the west coast of America. Neither of those are great. Australia is a big island, far away from everywhere. :)

Glad to hear the AWS stuff is working for you. I'll see what needs to happen to put that in the SRV record for everyone.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer