I have never set the CPUTYPE in /etc/make.conf, and still MAKEDEV misbehaves.
Most of my FreeBSD boxes use AMD Athlon, don't know if that could have
anything to do with it. Just for fun I tried setting CPUTYPE=k7 in make.conf,
recompile sh (maybe I need to recompile the whole lot) and then running
MAKEDEV all. It failed, again.

--
Morten A. Middelthon
Freenix Norge