On Oct 4, 2006, at 3:41 PM, Kris Kennaway wrote:

from what i read in the output from kgdb, it seems that something
locked the kernel and we broke to debugger from the watchdog timeout
(I enable software watchdog).

Hmm, be careful with that - if you set the timeout too low (and note
that for some workloads O(minutes) may even be too low) then you'll
get a lot of false positives.

hmmm... the man page for watchdogd doesn't specify what the default timeout is, but that's what we've got running. [tappity-tapptity- tap...] source seems to indicate 16seconds timeout. interesting.

so we could be getting hit with a bge interrupt storm and timing out. i'll turn off fido and see what happens.

at this point, though, i think i have two separate issues. one with bge and watchdog timeout, and one with locking of the filesystem with mksnap_ffs, as the symptoms are different.