JoaoBR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > On Wednesday 04 April 2007 00:05, you wrote:
 > > Console is not intended for everyday use! You should login
 > > to your FreeBSD box with ssh-client of your choise and from
 > > the OS of your choise (preferably from graphic mode).
 >
 > please stay on topic
 > the question is not what one should or not
 > but to hook into your talk, if there is a console it can be used as wanted

He is perfectly on topic.

Normally you shouldn't have to use syscons at all.
On desktop machines, you install X and run it at your
favourite resolution.  Server machines usually run
headless anyway, and you connect to them via ssh or
via a serial terminal server.  Having to go to a
server and work at the syscons console would be an
exception (e.g. in case of emergency, when you're
not even able to get the box up in single-user mode
on the serial console).

Of course there are exceptions to those rules.  But
that's what they are: exceptions.  If you need to work
on a server regularly at its physical display, it's
probably a good idea to install X, as if it was a
desktop machine.  In fact, if you do work there
regularly, then it acts partially as a desktop machine
or workstation, so it deserves to run X.  If installed
and configured properly, the overhead of starting and
running the X server is low.

Having said that, FreeBSD's syscons _does_ support
higher resolutions if you really want to have them
(see the pixel mode support and the VESA options in
the vindcontrol(8) manpage).  If that's still not
enough, well, then you have to write code yourself
and submit it.  The fact that nobody has done that
so far indicates that not too many people are in need
for more than what's already there.

 > > 1024x768 is more than enough for 120x50 virtual terminals.
 >
 > may be for you, for me and lot of other users it is definitly not

How did you get the number of "lot of other users"?
>From the discussion so far it rather seems to be a
small minority.

 > > p.s. Or you just trolling? RH is rather professional, but definitely
 > > not because of graphics in console... :-\
 >
 > don't try to be smart with me

Admittedly your style of writing looks a lot like
trolling.  (But I assume anyway that you're not
intentionally trolling, otherwise I wouldn't reply
at all and instead add you to my killfile.)

 > nobody said that RH is professional because of it's graphics in console
 > I said that for example RH looks professional with the graphic boot they
 > offer

I rather agree with Peter Jeremy here.  FreeBSD's boot
looks more professional than a colorful but less
informative graphical boot like the one on RH or SuSE
(or even Windows).  Of course, that matters only if
you're a professional yourself.  If you're not, then
I certainly believe that you prefer the graphical boot.

FWIW, most of the time machines boot without _anyone_
watching anyway.  If you need to see the boot messages,
you ssh into the box and type "dmesg -a" or look at the
file /var/run/dmesg.boot (and /var/log/console.log
which can be enabled via /etc/syslog.conf).

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  Please respect the Reply-To header.  I do read the
list and do not want to get additional copies of mails.

(On the statement print "42 monkeys" + "1 snake":)  By the way,
both perl and Python get this wrong.  Perl gives 43 and Python
gives "42 monkeys1 snake", when the answer is clearly "41 monkeys
and 1 fat snake".        -- Jim Fulton