On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Darren Pilgrim wrote:

Andreas Pettersson wrote:
Mark Andrews wrote:
        Why don't you go the other way and get yourself IPv6
        connectivity.  You do realise that you will require it to
        reach many sites in about 3 years time as they will be IPv6
        only

For almost 10 years I've heard discussions about the successor to IPv4, but from my point of view (may differ from others..) not much has happened. Of course, I can imagine that when the wheel starts rolling for real things might change quickly. 3 years may prove to be correct, but are there any clear signs pointing in this direction?

The proponents of IPv6 have claimed growing real-world deployment for the last several years. There is yet no significant commercial deployment--the real world still runs on IPv4.

Just adding another "real world" datapoint... I'd love to get my hands dirty with IPv6. I contacted both of our upstreams, Level3 and HE.net.

Level3 never responded, if anyone has details on what their deal is, please share (offlist).

HE.net wanted both more money and for us to order another port with them.

For the 0.0001% of our users that have expressed interest in v6 connectivity, we're not going to pay for another FE port just to experiment. I'm sure most other Tier-2 local/regional ISPs feel the same way.

If there were a free and "best effort" service offered by any of our upstreams though, I'd jump at it.

My buddy Ike over at NYCBUG does have a bunch of pictures of cheap consumer IPv6 home routers from his trip to Japan. Apparently it's quite widespread there.

Charles

--
Darren Pilgrim