On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:37:53AM -0400, Mark Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:27:40AM +0200, Paul FLOYD wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm investigating some of the remaining issues with Valgrind on FreeBSD.
> > One of the two remaining major issues that I'm aware of is with Valgrind
> > reading dwarf  debuginfo from clang compiled binaries. The problem isn't
> > too bad with clang 8 on FreeBSD 12.1. On 13-CURRENT with clang 10 things
> > are noticeably worse. For GCC built binaries I'm not aware of any issues.
> >
> > I'm not familiar (yet) with the debuginfo code in Valgrind.
> >
> > To get me going, does anyone have any pointers to
> > - documentation on clang debuginfo
Clang generates DWARF which is documented by the DWARF standard(s),
available at http://dwarfstd.org/

> > - any info on differences wrt GCC (I have seen that GCC does have some
> > debuginfo extensions)
Gcc also generates DWARF.  It is up to the compiler to interpret the standard
and provide compliant metadata according to it.

But I would expect that the practical difference or troubles in parsing
the compiler' output is due to different versions of the used standard.
Both gcc and clang allow to specify which level of standard should be
used, see the description of the -gdwarf-<version> switch.

Different versions of the same compiler might default to different
version of DWARF as well.