> On 27 Jul 2020, at 16:37, Mark Johnston <ma...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 11:27:40AM +0200, Paul FLOYD wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm investigating some of the remaining issues with Valgrind on FreeBSD. One
>> of the two remaining major issues that I'm aware of is with Valgrind reading
>> dwarf  debuginfo from clang compiled binaries. The problem isn't too bad
>> with clang 8 on FreeBSD 12.1. On 13-CURRENT with clang 10 things are
>> noticeably worse. For GCC built binaries I'm not aware of any issues.
>>
>> I'm not familiar (yet) with the debuginfo code in Valgrind.
>>
>> To get me going, does anyone have any pointers to
>> - documentation on clang debuginfo
>> - any info on differences wrt GCC (I have seen that GCC does have some
>> debuginfo extensions)
>> - any tools that would be useful like ascii dumps
>
> Are you asking about tools to dump DWARF info?  I've used dwarfdump
> (from ports) quite a bit in the past.  readelf -w is similar and
> available in the base system.

Hi Mark

Yes, I’m trying to start working out where there are differences

Clang 8 vs clang 10 vs just about any GCC

I’d already seen readelf, but I hadn’t installed dwarfdump.

I just had a look at one example, there’s a bit less info in the clang
generated file, but otherwise it looks OK.

Next I’ll try comparing a problem clang 10 binary with a clang 8 one.

A+
Paul