07.07.2010 14:59, Jeremy Chadwick ???????(??):
      FREEBSD_COMPAT7 kernel option is, apparently, a requirement (and
      thus not an "option") -- the kernel-config files, that worked with
      7.x, break without this option in them (in addition to all the
      nuisance, that's documented in UPDATING -- which, somehow, makes
      the breakage acceptable). config(8) would not warn about this, but
      kernel build fails.
We don't use this option (meaning it's removed from our kernels).  It's
definitely not required.  All it does is ensure your kernel can
comprehend executables/binaries built on 7.x.
Attached is the kernel config-file (i386), that worked fine under 7.x. The kernel-compile will break (some *freebsd7* structs undefined), without the COMPAT_FREEBSD7 option. Try it for yourself...
   3. Likewise, having "device ugen" breaks config(8) -- another
      undocumented incompatibility.
This sounds like you not including all of the necessary USB/device
framework in your kernel configuration.  You're not providing enough
output for us to help diagnose the problem, though.
Put "device ugen" back into the attached kernel-config file and see config's error yourself.
   4. The sio(4) is described in UPDATING as "removed", but rouses no
      complaint from config(8) either. It just breaks the kernel
      build... It should be an alias for uart, IMHO -- all I want is for
      my serial ports to be usable, whether their driver is called
      "Serial Input/Output" or "Universal Asynchronous Receiver and
      Transmitter".
I disagree (re: "it should be an alias").  sio(4) is deprecated (meaning
it's not used by default any more), and it's left in the driver tree
solely as a fall-back method if someone runs into uart(4) problems.
If it were merely "deprecated" it would've still worked. It does not -- put "device sio" into the attached kernel-config and try building -- you'll get the compile-error. Whether deliberately or through bit-rot, uart /replaced/ sio...
I'll take a moment to point out that your complaints about the kernel
configuration file, so far, seem to stem from you not "migrating" your
kernel configuration from 7.x to 8.x.  Things change -- that's the
reality of the situation.

The way I do this is, when upgrading major releases (7.x->8.x), to
"start fresh" using GENERIC as my base template and then
adding/adjusting while comparing against the older kernels' config.
Others do it differently, this is just how I do it.
Yes, your way is fine. But so is mine. It is perfectly reasonable to expect my method to work just as well -- the 7->8 is not revolutionary, but simply the next step. I read the "UPDATING" file and, though annoyed a little, took care of things mentioned in there... The remaining things are enumerated here...
      (BTW, about the /dev-entries -- do we /really/ have to change the
      names of the serial port-devices every couple of years? It is
      rather painful to reconfigure the fax- and ppp-software, etc.) How
      does the Microsoft world manage to stay with the COM1, COM2 for
      decades?)
Like I said: things change.
Well, pardon the political pun, but I don't believe in change for the sake of change. These particular changes are gratuitous. If sio is no longer available -- and replaced by uart, why change the /dev-entries?..
   5. One of the upgraded systems would repeatedly hang at boot, until I
      disabled the on-board firewire-device through the BIOS... It was
      not a problem under 7.x, although I don't know, whether the device
      actually worked.
This is a commonly-reported problem, assuming "at boot" you mean "while
the kernel is starting".  Or unless you're using a certain model of
Shuttle box, but that turned out to be literally a BIOS bug:

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/shuttle-sg45h7-firewire-bug-in-bios-sg45u10o/
No, this is not it /at all/. The link above describes a crash in the BIOS (and no POST), if firewire circuitry is disabled in BIOS. My problem is with FreeBSD kernel hanging on boot, if the firewire circuitry is enabled in BIOS. The boot was fine under 7.x, so this can not be due to a BIOS-bug -- the only thing, that changed, is the OS...
This is also a commonly-reported problem (and one I've harped on as
well).  When you say "during boot": does it work during loader (the
screen with the "FreeBSD" logo on it)?
Yes.
If the keyboard works during loader but not once the kernel + kernel USB
stack loads (e.g. when booting into single-user), then look at the very
bottom of this page for a couple things to try:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/BugBusting/Commonly_reported_issues
Will do, thanks! Still, I was hoping, things will "just work" with 8.1...
Regardless, this is one of the reasons I still have not made the move to
USB keyboards and stick with PS/2 keyboards on FreeBSD.
While renovating the house, I ran USB-, audio-, and video-cables through the walls from "server room" to the office, so I can sit in front of the monitors and keyboard/mouse, while the actual computers are well insulated behind closed door. PS/2 cables can't run the same length, it turns out...
   7. All my "dangerously dedicated" disks lost the "s1" in the
      subdevice-names after the upgrade: /dev/da1s1d became /dev/da1d,
      etc. I like the shorter names (and there are, indeed, no "slices"
      there), but having to fix them manually upon reboot was unpleasant
      and uncalled for. As with uart/sio, backward-compatibility aliases
      are a fine idea and really improves user's experience...
Again: things change.
Again: this particular change seems gratuitous.
"Dangerously dedicated" disks are commonly deprecated at this point (as
I understand it folks are trying to get away from them).  GEOM takes
care of this situation better than it used to.
Yes, the "taking care" part is fine -- the filesystems all work. But the renaming is unwelcome.
Re: aliases: see above.
The only talk of aliases "above" was regarding sio/uart -- you said, sio is deprecated, but could exist alongside uart. That argument (however flawed it was, in my above-expressed opinion) does not apply here...
   8. I tried to do an install on one of the systems via netbooting
      (pxeload) the disk1-image. It booted, but the sysinstall had to beclaimed
      started manually and, once started, did not act the same as when
      booted off of CD-ROM. Seems like a simple bit to correct so that
      setting "init" to /usr/sbin/sysinstall/manually on every boot/ is
      not necessary...
Can't reproduce:
http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install.html
Yes, you can -- you extract the CD-image there <http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_8.html#step4> (doubling the storage requirements), and then modify the loader.conf <http://jdc.parodius.com/freebsd/pxeboot_serial_install_8.html#step6>. That modification should not be necessary -- the thing ought to figure the situation out automatically. That it does not (not quite), was my complaint, although I was following a different recipe <http://www.freebsdwiki.net/index.php/Installing_FreeBSD_with_netboot>.

Try loading the kernel module amdtemp and see if things improve.  Be
sure to read the man page.
Loading amdtemp was not necessary on the Opteron system, where the k8temp utility "just works" even after the upgrade. Doing it did not help the Athlon system, where k8temp continues to not work...

Yours,

   -mi

#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ../../conf/NOTES and NOTES files.
# If you are in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first
# in NOTES.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.474.2.18 2009/06/18 06:03:58 yongari
Exp $

#cpu            I486_CPU
#cpu            I586_CPU
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           Quokka

# To statically compile in device wiring instead of /boot/device.hints
#hints          "GENERIC.hints"         # Default places to look for devices.

makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

options         SCHED_ULE               # ULE scheduler
options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
options         INET                    # InterNETworking
#options        INET6                   # IPv6 communications protocols
options         SCTP                    # Stream Control Transmission Protocol
options         FFS                     # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             # Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 # Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             # Improve performance on big directories
#options        UFS_GJOURNAL            # Enable gjournal-based UFS journaling
#options        MD_ROOT                 # MD is a potential root device
options         NFSCLIENT               # Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               # Network Filesystem Server
options         NFSLOCKD                # Network Lock Manager
#options        NFS_ROOT                # NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 # MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  # ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  # Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                # Pseudo-filesystem framework
#options        GEOM_PART_GPT           # GUID Partition Tables.
#options        GEOM_LABEL              # Provides labelization
options         COMPAT_43TTY            # BSD 4.3 TTY compat [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD5         # Compatible with FreeBSD5
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD6         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD7         # Compatible with FreeBSD6
options         SCSI_DELAY=5000         # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  # ktrace(1) support
options         STACK                   # stack(9) support
options         SYSVSHM                 # SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 # SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 # SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
#options        AUDIT                   # Security event auditing
#options        KDTRACE_HOOKS           # Kernel DTrace hooks

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two lines are needed
#options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
#device         apic                    # I/O APIC

# CPU frequency control
device          cpufreq

# Bus support.
#device         eisa
device          pci

# Floppy drives
device          fdc

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
#device         ataraid         # ATA RAID drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist         # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   # Static device numbering

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          kbdmux          # keyboard multiplexer

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

device          splash          # Splash screen and screen saver support

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
device          apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          ipmi
device          smapi
device          smbios
device          pmtimer                 # Adjust system timer at wakeup time
device          smb
device          smbus
device          nfpm
device          nfsmb

# Serial (COM) ports
device          uart            # Generic UART driver

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
#device         plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
#device         ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
#device         nfe             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet
device          nve             # nVidia nForce MCP on-board Ethernet
device          fxp

# Pseudo devices.
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          random          # Entropy device
device          ether           # Ethernet support
#device         sl              # Kernel SLIP
#device         ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"
#device         gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#device         faith           # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device          firmware        # firmware assist module

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
# Note that 'bpf' is required for DHCP.
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
#device         uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ehci            # EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse

# FireWire support
device          firewire        # FireWire bus code
device          sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
device          fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
device          fwip            # IP over FireWire (RFC 2734,3146)
device          dcons           # Dumb console driver
device          dcons_crom      # Configuration ROM for dcons

device  sound
device  snd_ich