Looking into this further, I think that the issue is down to Garmin devices supplying incorrect information.

In reply to the SCSI INQUIRY command, the HISUP bit is not set. This means that single level LUN structure is used (which appears to be all that FreeBSD supports anyway). Consequently, the second LUN should be of the form:

00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00

Instead, the device reports a second LUN of:

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01

This is invalid as it uses all four addressing levels, not the single level LUN structure.

I think a quirk will be needed here, for example one that ignores the list entries and looks at the length of the list only, assuming that for a list of length n, the LUNs will be 0, 1, 2, ..., n - 1.

- Bartosz