On Tue, 27 May 2014, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

Warren Block wrote:
On Mon, 26 May 2014, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

Does FreeBSD *ever* work with *any* USB 3.0 equipment?  Or is this

Yes it works. Tue, 12 Jun 2012 I filed a success report:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2012-June/011283.html

I remember looking it up at the time, and this
appears to be the same card from Newegg:

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158297

Newegg looks similar to Conrad

http://conrad.de/ce/de/product/973583/2-PORT-USB-30-PCI-EXPRESS-CONTROLLER
It's not identical.
 The white paint of the silk screen on PCB ends with:
        Conrad.de  :  8-00B MADE IN TAIWAN      (no preceeding 1122 )
        Newegg.com : 08-00D MADE IN TAIWAN      (+ preceeding 1122 )
Electricaly I don't know.

Those are likely date codes: 2011, week 22. And possibly 8-00B or -00D are board revisions. They may not be identical, but all the components are in the same place and I'd bet software will consider them the same thing.

My posting
 http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2012-June/011283.html
Lists all numbers off top of chips, (it was very hard to read one
chip, even with magnifying glass & good light, I wouldnt want to
try to read pcture on newegg web page, but people have my IC numbers
for Conrad).

The Startech USB chip is the same, a D720200F1. A much better picture of the Vantec version:
http://www.expreview.com/9741-7.html

Newegg does not have the Vantec any more, but they did:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815287007&cm_re=ugt-pc302-_-15-287-007-_-Product

Anyway, the eight-pin IC is an Atmel 25F512B, a 512K-bit flash ROM for firmware. It's possible there are firmware updates for these cards, but unlikely the vendors have them for end users.

Newegg.com page has:
 "With a built-in SATA power connector, each USB port can deliver
 up to 900mA of power"
That's too low, should be 1.0 Amp I believe for USB3 spec.

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/973583/ (english page BTW) clicks to
http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/950000-974999/973583-an-01-ml-2_PORT_USB_3_0_PCI_EXPRESS_C_de_en_fr_nl.pdf
Page 2 says:
"each USB port of the plug-in card can deliver a current of up to
1.5A (SATA power unit must be connected to the plug-in card!),"

One engineer is honest, the other is optimistic. :)