Well sure, but we have devd in FreeBSD for some time. It actually does handle the hot plug (sort-of...) I made a custom devd hook for it.

The actual problem is that if I boot FreeBSD with the device plugged in then devd never runs my hooks.

That and I'm not sure if devd is even the right place... to put my hooks, but it sure seems like it... except for the "doesn't show up at boot".

Also really interested in knowing how the heck Linux figures out the IP address?

Is there some usb ethernet spec for autoconfiguring???

-Alfred