Quoting Gary Jennejohn <gljennj...@gmail.com> (from Wed, 11 Oct 2017 06:07:34 +0200):

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 20:14:37 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <alexan...@leidinger.net> wrote:

Quoting Hans Petter Selasky <h...@selasky.org> (from Mon, 9 Oct 2017 22:38:32 +0200):

> On 10/09/17 21:47, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>>> If you are using multi channel audio equipment with 24-bits, try >>> to avoid FULL-speed ones!

I have now tried every single USB connector, external and internal. None of them attaches to the EHCI bus. :( The only connector which Iwas not able to test is labeled "USB SSD" and has a smaller pin-gridthan those other internal usb-PIN-connectors with cables to the frontof the case.

I think I will now buy a PCIe USB3.0 card. Anything I should avoid? Anything you recommend? I found this: www.amazon.de/CSL-Express-Controller-SATA-Stromanschluss-Schnittstellenkart
e/dp/B00OBACW0G
which seems to have some VLI chip on it. I haven't found anything usable in terms of vendor/product ID or such. 4 ports may be enough, for an external USB backup HD, the soundcard, and a video device, but for ~10 EUR difference...

I've been using the CSL B00F9XGPTI XHCI 4-port card which works.  I
bought it on amazon.de, but I don't know whether it's still available.

I bought the one I had listed. Works. I did a short Amazon review which mentions FreeBSD.

>> Well... first I want to get the 2 channel 16bit case working... >> then I will have a look at extending this to 5.1 (most probably >> 16bit, that's enough to watch action movies).
>
> Hi,
>
> Some more ideas:
>
> 2 channel 16 bit will only work if you turn off bitperfect. The

I activated bitperfect as a test because I got the distortion and was hoping to either gain some lower-latency or at least get rid of somelayers of code to rule out issues there.

> lowest number of channels the device exports is 4 for playback. That> means the kernel will re-format 2 channels to 4 channels always and> that is done by the PCM feeder. You'll need to check that there is a> filter which handle that.
>
> You might want to install virtual_oss from ports to handle this > device properly.

In the end I want 5.1 output, so if the bus speed doesn't give me this: no need to waste our time with the slow ports.

It looks like this now (here the second uaudio device is attached):
---snip---
ugen8.1: <0x1106 XHCI root HUB> at usbus8, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA) ugen8.2: <vendor 0x2109 USB2.0 Hub> at usbus8, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (100mA) ugen8.3: <VIA Labs, Inc. USB2.0 Hub> at usbus8, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA) ugen8.4: <vendor 0x0d8c USB Sound Device> at usbus8, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA) ugen8.5: <VIA Labs, Inc. USB3.0 Hub> at usbus8, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
---snip---

What I don't understand is it tells spd=FULL, so the device is not doing faster as it theoretically can do on the mainboard-usb device. Why does it work better (no audio distortion when connected to the xhci device)?

I also tried 5.1 output (data goes via optical connection to the pre-amp/DAC).
dev.pcm.2.bitperfect: 0
dev.pcm.2.buffersize: 0
dev.pcm.2.rec.vchanformat: s16le:2.0
dev.pcm.2.rec.vchanrate: 48000
dev.pcm.2.rec.vchanmode: fixed
dev.pcm.2.rec.vchans: 1
dev.pcm.2.play.vchanformat: s16le:5.1
dev.pcm.2.play.vchanrate: 48000
dev.pcm.2.play.vchanmode: passthrough
dev.pcm.2.play.vchans: 1

Audio comes out of all 5 speakers, but somehow I have the impression I get the same output everywhere... I need to download a 5.1 test and see. But this is another issue now.

Thanks!
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net alexan...@leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF