On 1/12/14, 5:13 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 5:56 PM, Craig Rodrigues <rodr...@freebsd.org> wrote:

Hi,

I am working with Sean Bruno to set up some BHyve VM's.

Right now, the vmrun.sh script tells BHyve to direct
the serial console to stdout.

Best solution for a permanent remote console I have heard so far is to use
screen to be able to reconnect to it. We (Dee Nixon and I) have not
actually done this, however, and are looking for a more portable solution.

If I want to have the VM's start via an rc.d script, and
have the VM be headless, what is the best way to have
the VM console still be accessible?

A small hack to PetiteCloud (which neither me or Dee have time for but
would be very interested in if someone can do it) might be the best here
since PetiteCloud has auto start on boot -- something that is hard to do
without a lot of custom scripting if you're going with no front-end.   For
example it took us over 40 hrs of work to add the auto-start capability to
PetiteCloud.  (We were never able to get vmrun.sh to start on boot.)

Has anyone done something like use netcat
to direct the BHyve stdio to a socket?

since I think bHyve can export a socket for debugger control, I'm surprised it cant' export a socket for the serial console.. a bit like dcons.. In fact I'd like to see dcons work with bhyve.. it would be neat to implement a version of the dcons code that used a signal instead of polling.. also it'd be nice it the gdb remote could access the machine's memory without VM co-operation.

Me and Dee spent a few weeks with something like it last summer and didn't
have much success.

That way the serial console could be accessed remotely
via telnet or ssh.

Is there a better way to do this?

--
Craig