Just for the fun of it, I tried my build zfs-system scripts in a bhyve-vm.

I use the 10.0-RELEASE iso to get to a shell, config and interface and
download my script. Installing does work, and on a regular system we can
go and boot into a ZFS-on-Root system.

In bhyve I get the following, on reboot:
freetest# vmrun.sh -d test10zfs -t tap1 -m 2048 test10zfs
Launching virtual machine "test10zfs" ...
Consoles: userboot

FreeBSD/amd64 User boot, Revision 1.1
(r...@freetest.digiware.nl, Tue Feb 11 10:03:58 CET 2014)
can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.

And there is no known way (to me) to educate the loader to understand
zfs disks....

Which loader is is used in booting?
        a special bhyve-loader
        the bootloader in the boot-partition.

It seems this is the first one.

If so I'm wondering if the grub-bhyve would be a trick to boot the
Root-on-ZFS system....

But then the first question is:
        where do I find grub-bhyve

Any suggestion is welcome...

BTW: this is on a AMD system.

BTW2: I read that there could be interest for a dedicated opteron-server
to do bhyve development on....
I'm more than willing to put my test server in a slot in our datacenter
for people to do testing on.
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T Processor (3013.84-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x100fa0  Family = 0x10  Model = 0xa
Stepping = 0