On 2014-06-19 09:42, John wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've looked and looked for bhyve info and worked examples all in one place
> but my google-fu seems to be lacking today, so I'm asking here.
> I'm running stable-10 r262917 host. Can one now have the following bhyve
> instances?
>
> 1. openbsd (which versions?)
> 2. ubuntu latest
> 3. opensuse latest
>
> Can these be installed from the console? If so, how?
>
> I'm using virtualbox right now and it is very very very slow with freebsd
> guest. Are there optimisations I need for bhyve? The host runs zfs. There's
> lots of memory (192GB but lots of that seems swallowed by zfs!)
>
> 4. Can a virtualbox instance be converted to a bhyve instance?
>
> thanks!

Firstly, for running FreeBSD, Ubuntu and Redhat, I have entries in the
handbook that walk you through it:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/virtualization-host-bhyve.html

OpenSuse would just be a matter of changing the grub config as required.
If the guest happens to use grub2, grub-bhyve can usually just pickup
the config file and work without any heavy lifting on your part,
compared to CentOS 6 which still uses grub1 and requires injecting a
bunch of kernel boot parameters.

You can run some versions of OpenBSD, but you need to use a 'flashrd'
style image. However, recent work in -CURRENT now allows running all
modern versions of OpenBSD using the standard ISO to do the install etc.

If you install the qemu-img tool, you should be able to convert your
VirtualBox image into a raw disk image, and then you would be able to
boot that in bhyve.

--
Allan Jude