Hi Julian,
A virtual switch for bhyve would be a useful feature if there aren't any
plans for one.  Get up there and have it in base. ;)

 This has been talked about quite a bit, though nothing concrete.
Allowing bhyve to talk to netgraph would instantly give this. I think
you can already do it by
hooking the tap device into the netgraph graph. (I haven't done this for
ages bt it used to work)
at one time virtual box could also use netgraph for its networking. Not
sure if it still can.

While I don't doubt the utility of being able to hook VMs to netgraph, what I was thinking (hoping) was something like a cloneable tap-like interface to bridge(4) that avoided having to create discrete tap interfaces and bind them to bridge.