On Oct 25, 2014, at 13:20, K. Macy <km...@freebsd.org> wrote:

>>> Wait, we want to sweep those bugs under the rug?  What exactly is wrong
>>> with making a test harness that can very easily reproduce a known problem?
>>> The chances are that anyone will dive into it once the bug is easily
>>> reproducible.
>>
>>        Sweeping bugs under the rug is not what I plan on doing; I’m marking
>> these as expected failures, as opposed to having them continually panic a
>> machine. Once a ZFS dev takes a look at the issue and resolves them, then
>> the ZFS dev can remove the “bail” calls I’m adding to the testcases.
>
> Yes, disabling tests that fail leads to an ineffectual test suite. A
> test suite that never has any failures is not very useful. However,
> there are two factors to take in to account in this context:
> a) frequent failures can lead users to stop running a test suite
> leading to further regressions
> b) long-term repeated failures can desensitize users leading them to
> ignore *new* failures facilitating further regressions
>
> Thus it's really a question of what context you're talking about
> running the test suite in. For purposes of Jenkins we want full
> visibility in to what is passing and what is failing and how long this
> has been going on for.

(seeing as how my other post isn’t in the -testing archives yet..)
        Panicking a node (what the tests are doing before last night) and
exiting with a non-zero exit code (what I’m making them do with the bail outs
in tools/regression/zfs) are both considered test failures. The difference
being that I can safely run all of the tests on a production or a test machine
without having to panic/reboot the box and I get greater coverage in one fell
swoop. If a developer wants they can always delete the lines that bail out of
the tests to get the desired panic.
Cheers,
-Garrett