I believe only CentOS-6.x and newer are currently supported.  I am in a
similar predicament where I'd like to port some development CentOS5.x
systems and am unable to.

With CentOS 5.11 it's possible to get some early kernel output by setting the "earlyprintk=serial" kernel command-line option. But, this disappears when the switchover to the main console happens.

I'd be keen to learn what issues exist preventing this and see if I can
help in any way to get older CentOS systems supported.

I suspect that Centos 5 does boot, but without console output there's not much that can be done :( It might need some Linux kernel builds and insertion of debug to work out why the console settings from grub aren't being used.