Peter Grehan wrote:

> To follow up on the previous post, with the UEFI support introduced in
> r288524, bhyve can now boot Illumos since there is a working BIOS.
>
> This has been tested with SmartOS and also OpenIndiana and OmniOS,
> though I've not been able to work out how to enable serial console
> support for the latter two post-install.
>
> The best bet is the most recent SmartOS:
>
> https://us-east.manta.joyent.com/Joyent_Dev/public/SmartOS/smartos-latest.iso
>
> Grab the UEFI build with CSM/BIOS enabled:
>      http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/bhyve_uefi/BHYVE_UEFI_CSM_20151002.fd
>
> An example command line is:
>
> bhyve \
>         -c 2 \
>         -s 3,ahci-cd,/path/to/smartos-20151001T070028Z.iso \
>         -s 4,ahci-hd,/path/to/smartos.img \
>         -s 5,virtio-net,tap0 \
>         -s 31,lpc \
>         -l com1,/dev/nmdm0A \
>         -l com2,/dev/nmdm1A \
>         -l bootrom,/path/to/BHYVE_UEFI_CSM_20151002.fd \
>         -m 2G -H smartos
>
> UEFI/CSM debug output is on com1, grub1 is on com2, install is on com1.
> On a reboot after install, login sessions are enabled for both com1 and
> com2.
>
> Many thanks to Andriy Gapon for helping out with debug, and Ben Perrault
> for giving it a good shakeout.

Hi Peter,

I tried this instruction and I was able to get into smartos
installation. I choose all the default options there, it reported
successful installation. Then I dropped 'ahci-cd' part, but I cannot get
smartos boot.

I can see on nmdm0B the following:

Legacy INT19 Boot...

And that's all.

And there's nothing on nmdm1B.

My command is:

bhyve -c 2 -s 4,ahci-hd,/home/novel/smartos.img  -s 5,virtio-net,tap0 -s
31,lpc  -l com1,/dev/nmdm0A -l com2,/dev/nmdm1A  -l
bootrom,/home/novel/uefi/BHYVE_UEFI_CSM_20151002.fd  -m 2G -H smartos

^T reports:

load: 1.17  cmd: bhyve 4821 [running] 2461.38r 347.75u 2109.83s 100%
7580k

And, by the way, is it possible to run FreeBSD using UEFI?

I encountered problems with that as well:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2015-November/003904.html

Any hints how to debug this are appreciated.

Thanks,

Roman Bogorodskiy