Hi Roman,

I tried this instruction and I was able to get into smartos
installation. I choose all the default options there, it reported
successful installation. Then I dropped 'ahci-cd' part, but I cannot get
smartos boot.

For smartos, the CD should always be left there since that's the boot media. The first boot just detects that the hard drive is empty which triggers the install.

And, by the way, is it possible to run FreeBSD using UEFI?

I encountered problems with that as well:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2015-November/003904.html

Any hints how to debug this are appreciated.

The VM images don't include the UEFI loader. You'll have to boot from the ISO for that, and force serial console output at the loader prompt.