Hi Vincent,

Nothing works with UEFI console for me so I think I’m going to stick
with BIOS-MBR-GRUB for now, unless you have an idea I can try…

The live ISO can be repacked to work with a serial console. The only complication is that the systemd-boot (aka gummiboot, Arch's UEFI loader) are embedded in a FAT filesystem image.

 The repack steps are:

1. Install the cdrtools-devel package to get mkisofs

2. Extract the contents of the Arch iso into a working directory

   # cd /path/to/work_dir
   # tar xf /path/to/archlinux-2017.01.01-dual.iso

3. Find the label of the ISO (to be used in the repack)

# isoinfo -d -i /path/to/archlinux-2017.01.01-dual.iso | grep ^Volume\ id
   Volume id: ARCH_201701

4. Set up a vnode-backed md for the FAT boot image and mount it

   # mdconfig -f EFI/archiso/efiboot.img
   # mount_msdosfs /dev/md0  /mnt

5. Edit the config file, adding serial console lines to the 'options' line

   # vi /mnt/loader/entries/archiso-x86_64.conf
options archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ARCH_201701 console=tty0 console=ttyS0

6. Unmount the filesystem (updating the FAT filesystem image) and cleanup the md

   # umount /mnt
   # mdconfig -d -u 0

7. Repack the ISO, using the volume ID from step 3. Change the
   name of the repacked iso to whatever is suitable with the '-o'
   parameter.

   # mkisofs \
 -iso-level 3 \
 -V "ARCH_201701" \
 -J -joliet-long \
 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -no-emul-boot -c isolinux/boot.cat \
 -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
 -eltorito-alt-boot -eltorito-platform 0xEF \
 -eltorito-boot EFI/archiso/efiboot.img \
 -no-emul-boot \
 -o ../arch_repack.iso .

The system can now be booted with a serial console. An example command line with serial output on the nmdm device is

bhyve \
      -c 2 \
      -s 0,hostbridge \
      -s 3,ahci-cd,/path/to/arch_repack.iso \
      -s 10,virtio-net,tap0 \
      -l bootrom,/path/to/BHYVE_UEFI_20160526.fd \
      -l com1,/dev/nmdm0A \
      -s 31,lpc \
      -m 2G -H -w \
      arch