On 08/28/2017 00:53, Aijaz Baig wrote:
Trying to run Bhyve on a PowerEdge 320 system which DOES have a POPCNT
instruction which shows support for VT-x support via EPT but I still get
the this error there

sh /usr/share/examples/bhyve/vmrun.sh -c 1 -m 2048M -t tap0 -d guest.img -i
-I FreeBSD-10.3-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso fbsd10
Launching virtual machine "fbsd10" ...
vm_create: Device not configured

vmx_init: processor does not support VMX operation

cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep -i popcnt

Isn't this processor supposed to support Bhyve (Xeon E5)??

what product number is your E5?  According to the manual you need the following for Intel CPUs to run bhyve:

" The easiest way to tell if a processor supports bhyveis to run |dmesg|or look in |/var/run/dmesg.boot|for...|EPT|and |UG|on the |VT-x|line for Intel® processors."  (I snipped the reference to POPCNT which seems to be an AMD only requirement."

its possible that your E5 is old enough that it lacks the VT-x support that bhyve needs.

Pete Wright