I have noticed significant storage amplification for my zvols; that could very
well be the reason. I would like to know more about why it happens.

Since the volblocksize is 512 bytes, I certainly expect extra cpu overhead (and
maybe an extra 1k or so worth of checksums for each 128k block in the vm), but
how do you get a 10X expansion in stored data?

What is the recommended zvol block size for a FreeBSD/ZFS guest? Perhaps 4k, to
match the most common mass storage sector size?

    - .Dustin