--On 17 February 2014 16:56:14 +0100 Roger Pau Monné <roger....@citrix.com> wrote:

In order to provide more debug info, could you apply the following patch:

http://xenbits.xen.org/people/royger/0001-xen-debug-Xen-PV-timer.patch

It will expand the panic message a little bit. Also, after applying the
patch you can manually edit sys/dev/xen/timer/timer.c and increase
NUM_RETRIES to see if that solves the problem.

Ok, tried adjusting the NUM_RETRIES #define in that patch (I left the PCI passthroughs in place at the moment). I had no idea what to set it to - so I went for 600. With it set at 600 that same guest now boots Ok now every time I've tried.

But I did notice the whole 'SMP AP CPU #x Launched!' takes forever, and varies a lot (e.g. one boot it took nearly 2 minutes to launch all CPU's and continue).

I removed the PCI passthroughs on that guest, and it now flies through the AP launches. Unfortunately though I need the passthroughs :(

I've passed through the onboard LSI 2308 SAS controller (mps), and a dual port PCI-E Intel NIC (igb) - all the passthroughs work on FreeBSD once it's booted - but obviously, not without causing the slow AP CPU launches.

I also remembered I set 'hw.pci.enable_msi=1' and 'hw.pci.enable_msix=0' in /etc/sysctl.conf - someone else found that was necessary to use the LSI in passthrough mode.

Aside from the slow launches, do you think (as they work) it's going to cause issues leaving those passthroughs active?

Thanks,

-Karl