My favorite login manager by far is slim, but the one thing that's
bugged the heck out of me about it was the gymnastics I had to go
through to get consolekit working for my xfce session. I was doing some
research on line to try and find a more robust solution, and came across
the notice that the newest version of slim now has consolekit support
built in, so I upgraded our port, and voila! Good old startxfce4 works
all by itself, and the consolekit stuff works just fine for reboot,
shutdown, etc.