There's a problem with 'extended' Latin (non-ASCII) letters in leader
names; namely that most players can't type them, which is important
when using for example the /take command! Especially grave are the
cases where the first letter of a name is 'extended' as in Icelandic
"Ásgeir Ásgeirsson" or Azeri "Əbülfəz Elçibəy".

I don't know how to deal with this smoothly. Maybe the best way is to
allow only ASCII in leader names. But that would upset users of
languages that look odd without diacritics, for example my own native
Swedish.

Cities are less of a problem, since you only ever (AFAIK) interact
with them through lists and the like.

 ~Daniel