Sorry, I missed the short word "bug" for the backtrace -- anyway, the
line numbers (that appear) still match the current source.

But I cannot reproduce.  As recommended, I've tried many times, all from
the science tab.  All the variables in select_help_item_string() look good.
No crashes.

There is an element that I don't understand from the report: "either with
checkbox and drop down list" -- the help checkbox doesn't seem to do
anything here, no matter how many times I click on it, it just toggles '+'.
Need more instructions.

Instead, I'm command-clicking on the science boxes themselves (works), or
using the _Help pull-down menu and its triangles (also works).